If you have permissions to edit actions, the Actions detail page will appear with additional options for editing. It is possible to modify the Action's cover photo, description, and add videos or web links.
The cover photo is the banner for this action and should indicate clearly what the action is all about. Keep in mind that text and other images will be displayed on top of the photo, so choose a photo that will work well as a background.
Select the "Edit Photo" button in the top left corner of the page to upload a new photo. If you have already uploaded a photo, you can select the "Revert" button to remove the photo. Selecting "Edit Photo" will bring up the Edit Photo dialog box.
Figure 1 - Edit Photo
You can click on the existing photo to select a new photo to upload. Please select a photo of high resolution, at a minimum of 500x800px. There is a maximum file size of 20MB per photo. Add the Photo Author using the attribution information you have available. The author's name will appear as "Photo © Author".
- Select a photo that represents the Action.
- Use a photo that is specific to your community (for example, a picture of your city or university's bus)
- Choose a photo that is of high quality, of at least 500x800px (1080x1920px is recommended)
- Ensure you have the rights to use the photo.
- Use photos with high-contrast patterns (they may clash with the text)
- Use photos with people in them
- Use photos without permissions of the author.
Only Admins for JouleBug Whitelabels communities or Shine Organizations may change the cover photo.
The description for the action tells the user what they should do to log the Action. In some cases, you may want to add additional details to the Action description to tell users how, where, or when they should be doing the Action. You can append text to after the standard Action description to accomplish this. Bold and italics can be included in the text for emphasis.
Only Admins for JouleBug Whitelabels communities or Shine Organizations may modify the description.
Figure 2 - Description Edit
To add additional information to the Action that may be specific to your community, you can include additional videos. If your community already has videos accessible, you can use these videos to enhance your communtity member's app experience. Videos should be uploaded to YouTube and by simply providing the YouTube link in the Dashboard, your videos will be accessible in the app.
You can optionally include a name and description of the video which will accompany it. This information is not currently displayed in the app.
There are standard videos included by default on some Actions, which cannot be edited. Your community videos will display above these.
Figure 3 - Video Edit
When selecting a video to include in the app, please consider the following guidelines.
- Select a video that has high production quality, with clear images and sound.
- Pick a video that is relavent to the Action and adds information people will find valuable.
- Use a video that is short (under 2 minutes).
- Use a video that is sponsored by your organization.
- Use a video with poor production quality, fuzzy images, muffled sound, or shaky camera work.
- Use long videos. Anything over 2 minutes is not recommended.
- Use videos with profanity or images inappropriate for ages 13+.
- Use videos that may result in copyright infringement.
Web links are the best place for additional, supplementary information. This could include bus schedules, promotional flyers, product websites, or other information which may be relavent to the Action. You can include links to your website here and the link will appear underneath the Action.
Figure 4 - Edit Community Link
You can add your web link in the Add Community Link dialog. You can also include an optional image, title, and description for your web link, which will be displayed in the link preview. If you do not include a title, image, and description, the preview will auto-fill this information based on the content of the webpage.
Perform Readabilitity: Selecting this option will display the webpage as a readable page in the mobile app. This will remove most of the styling and images from the page and just leave the text. Select this option if your chosen web link is not mobile-friendly.
There are standard web links included by default on some Actions, which cannot be edited. Your community web links will display above these.
Web Link Guidelines
When selecting a web link to include in the app, please consider the following guidelines.
- Choose a link that is relavent to the Action and adds valuable information.
- Select a web link that has a clear, informative message.
- Use a website that looks good on a mobile device ("designed for mobile" or "responsive design"). See the Google Webmaster page for more.
- Choose a link that supports HTTPS (secure connections).
- Use a link that has a poor mobile experience.
- Use a link that includes inappropriate content for ages 13+.
- Select a link that requires any sort of login credentials, payment, or subscription to access.
Save/Discard Your Changes
Once you have made your modifications to the action, you can select Save Changes. This will adopt the changes on the current page and make them live.
IMPORTANT: Changes are only saved once you have selected Save Changes. Navigating away from the page without saving will discard your changes.
If you choose not to save your changes, you can select Discard Changes. This will return the page to its previous state.